Not too long ago, Cosplay Photographers Tim Vo and The Bui with special cosplay guest of honor Sushi Monster sat down to do a panel at Anime Los Angeles on the topic of cosplay photography at hotels and convention centers. This is a great video for any cosplay photographer (or even videographer) who might be looking for tips and tricks for shooting at hotels and convention centers. More often than not, hotels and conventions centers may not have the most obvious spots to do photoshoots, but you’ll be surprised at how many possibilities there are.
Here’s a very useful table of contents on the various topics covered with the key time:
- 2:04 Approaching cosplayers
- 3:44 Interacting with cosplayers
- 10:54 Trying not to be creepy
- 13:41 Locations
- 16:49 Live demo
- 22:35 Attached bars and restaurants
- 23:19 Stairs
- 24:43 Parking garages
- 25:42 Greenspaces
- 26:07 Loading docks & storage rooms
- 26:44 Conference rooms
- 27:14 Hotel / convention lobbies
- 28:24 Just outside hotels / convention centers
- 30:02 Parks
- 30:11 Hotel rooms
- 30:51 Demo in this room (pre-photographed)
- 31:54 Dare to be different!
- 32:28 Playing with light and shadows
- 33:17 Push your ISO
- 33:48 Details
- 34:36 Seeing the unseen / unusual
- 35:35 Keep it simple
- 36:06 Playing with strobes
- 37:34 Groups
- 40:48 Q&A
A special thanks to Jim3535yt for filming and editing the video! Be sure to subscribe to his YouTube page for other informational and useful videos.
If you found this article interesting, be sure to join our Facebook group, Cosplay Photography Discussion Group. It is a place for cosplay photographers of all levels to learn from each other. Don’t forget to like us on Facebook as well!
Notice a problem with this article? Let us know.